This is a federal finical aid program that is awarded to the students who are planning to become teachers in the future. Get enrolled in degree programs of those schools that are receiving TEACH grants from the federal government and you should achieve more than 75% marks to get this grant. You must sign an agreement annually to get TEACH grant money.
- Learn about the eligibility criteria for grants
You will be generally eligible for grants if you are;
- U.S. citizens
- U.S. nationals
- Having arrival and departure record from U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services
Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is the requirement for all types of federal grants so, fill this application first. FAFSA requires your personal and financial information including assets, savings, investments, current account balance, and shares. They also ask about demographic factors including family size, the number of siblings enrolled in colleges or schools at the same time. If a family earns less than $27,000 in a year, its Expected Family Contribution (EFC) will be considered zero. The less the EFC the more likely you will get a maximum federal grant.
- You will be specifically eligible for a state grant if you are a resident of the same state and enrolled in the college of the same state.
- If you are enrolled in a school or college, you can apply for its institutional grant.
- If you are an undergraduate student and in financial need, you can apply for Federal Pell Grant. If you have already earned a bachelor’s degree you are not eligible for this grant. You will be considered ineligible if you are incarcerated in any penal institute.
- FSEOG is the federal grant that is provided to eligible students on a first come first serve basis. Eligibility will be determined by FAFSA as in Federal Pell Grant.
- You will be eligible for Iraq and Afghanistan Service Grant if one of your parents died while performing military duty in Iraq or Afghanistan and you were not 24 years old. You should be enrolled in any educational institute at the time of your parent’s death to get this grant.
- Apply for a TEACH grant if you want to provide services in the noble profession of teaching. A program of study is designed to prepare you as a qualified teacher is called TEACH-Grant eligible program.
- Everything you need to prepare and remember before applying for a Federal grant
The most important requirement for grants is to complete FAFSA. This is a requirement for graduation by some states in the USA. You can fill FAFSA online or print its PDF file. If you are attending a school, you have to submit it annually. There is no submission fee for FAFSA. You should have the following details before filling the application.
- Social security number of you and your parents
- If you don’t have a social security number, keep your alien registration number
- Driving license number
- You should have tax return information or W-2 forms from your employers. W-2 form should be for two previous years to the year you will attend college. You can directly transfer tax information from Internal Revenue Service (IRS) to the application form.
- You should have to submit the tax returns of your spouse if you are married
- If you are dependent on your parents, submit their tax information.
- Prepare the proof of untaxed money earned by you or your parents. These include the non-educational aid or funds you get during two preceding years.
- Collect your financial information or gather your parents’ financial information if you are dependent on your parents. Financial information includes investments, savings, real estate, stocks, bonds, business assets, and account balance. You do not need to provide information about the retirement account balance of your parents and the home you live in.
FAFSA deadline to apply for federal grant
- If you are applying for the year 2020-21, you have to apply before 11:59 p.m. on June 30, 2021. The correction will be allowed till 11:59 p.m. on Sept. 11, 2021.
- For the next year (2021-22), the application will be available from Oct. 1, 2021, and the due date is June 30, 2022.
FAFSA deadline for state and institutional grant
- Every state may have a different deadline for FAFSA which is most often earlier than the federal deadline for application. You have to check the website of the state’s higher-education agency to confirm the deadline.
- Consult the financial aid section of your college website to check the deadline for institutional grants.